Sunday, April 12, 2009

Today's Homily

I really like the way that the priests in my parish present their homilies. I find that they are always accessible, not lofty and hard to understand. In fact, they present them in a similar fashion as Jesus did with His parables. And Jesus is the master theologian of all time.

In today's homily, Father John described a time in his life when he was teaching a course in computers. In his class, there was a girl who just never took to the information that he was presenting. He tried a variety of remedies, different approaches to the information, but to no avail. She always had this glazed over look about her. (She reminded me of me. I would even fall asleep during class.) At the end of the run of the course, Fr. John gave a Jeopardy-like quiz, summarizing the course material. And did you know, she was giving him the right answers. He thought that maybe it was a fluke, so he tried again. She kept getting them right.

I'm not an intellectual. I'm not that well read. When I venture to present myself as anything other than what I am, I always end up looking stupid. Truth is, throughout the course of my education I hardly ever creased the cover of a book. However, considering that the bulk of my knowledge comes orally and from pure logic, I do pretty well for myself.

I think it just goes to show you that human potential has more than just one standard of measurement. With Jesus in your corner, you will pass the most important test.

2 Comments:

Blogger Isabella said...

I like this story. Knowledge and understanding is not just quoting a book or a teacher. It's to understand consequenses and connections between things, feelings, people etc. To be able to listen and make your own judgements instead of always accepting what other people say and think.

Have a nice day!

5:59 AM  
Blogger Nicole said...

Thank you for your insight. Have a great day!

1:43 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home