Sunday, December 30, 2007

Stevie Wonder

A short time after my ill-fated trip to LA in late August/early September of 2000, I went to see Hep (the hairdresser on all of John Water's films) at his salon in Canton. Hep was a really cool guy with two full sleeves of tattoos with (most importantly) great taste in music. We talked about music for the better part of my haircut. I was really jonesing for some Stevie Wonder at that point in time and he recommended that I buy "Songs In the Key of Life." When I got the record store, the introvert in me was immediately drawn to his then newly remastered "Innervisions." I fell in love with it, particularly "Living for the City," "Jesus Children of America" and most importantly "Don't You Worry 'Bout A Thing"

I used to dance alone to that song ("Don't You Worry 'Bout A Thing,") in my apartment on 111 E. 23rd Street in Baltimore, Maryland (i.e. Annie Applegarth's old apartment), which is where I moved after I returned from LA. Loved the hardwood floors, giant windows and tall ceilings in that place. It was in a sketchy neighborhood with a needle park across the street. Drug busts were pretty common there. I got mugged going to the local laundrymat once.

Try listening to it (especially the beginning) and maybe this will make more sense to you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home