Thursday, December 13, 2007

Disciple

Typically, I don't find myself drawn to this style of music (it's kind of reminiscent of the 80's power ballad group Nelson), but I find the lyricism to be so beautiful. Music in this vein is pretty much why I don't listen to much secular radio (it's so self-serving).

Here are two of my favorite lines from their song "After the World"

Did I arrange the light of your first day?
Did I create the rhythm your heart makes?

I think being an Aunt for the third time really made the first line resonate with me. And the second line I find amusing because I have arrythmia. When my cardiologist went to explain my condition to me, he told me "You have a musical heart." I found this funny because ever since my teens I've been really into music. I used to stay up really, really late just so I could watch 120 Minutes on MTV and have something to talk to Wes about the next day. I also used to go to the library to read Rolling Stone, because for some reason I couldn't afford a subscription.

When I spoke with Michael Shamberg (producer of New Order videos), about his legacy, I mentioned that I liked "the video with the blue guys hitting each other." Turns out that was the video for "True Faith."

1 Comments:

Blogger Nicole said...

I'm going to buy the entire Disciple catalogue, I love them so much!

1:39 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home