Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Arugula and the War on Salad


I think the controversy over Obama's remark about the price of arugula at Whole Foods is just plain ridiculous. They made propaganda style posters of him after this labeling him a snob.

I'm considered the working poor and I shop at Whole Foods every time I get the chance. I love that store! I tried to get people to email the company to bring one to my area. I even got John (who lives in Dublin, Ireland) to send them an email. I usually go for romaine, but there's nothing wrong with arugula. Get this, the nutritional content of greener greens is higher, making arugula (and romaine) at least 10 times better than traditional iceburg lettuce. I'm not a scientist or a nutritionist, that's just my estimate. Perhaps the reason why arugula is priced so high in Whole Foods is because Whole Foods is actually a responsible company. They treat their employees really well. I was even considering getting a part time job at the one that had just opened in Baltimore's Inner Harbor while I was working at the Maryland Film Office (I never got a raise, see).

I live in a small town and I wasn't offended by his remarks, it's actually true. But that's pretty true across the board no matter where you live when you're poor and you have no job. I noticed the same trend in Baltimore, Maryland. You'd be amazed what people will do when they have little to no money. Hollywood has really capitalized on this fact. (I have a lot to be bitter about though, although I try not to let it get me down)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home