Monday, May 26, 2008

For those with little or no faith

I was awoken this morning to a my parents response to a phone call. My grandmother was being taken to the emergency room in an ambulance. My Aunt, a Catholic nun, asked me if I would meet her at the hospital. Half awake and a little unhappy about spending Memorial Day in a hospital room, I begrudgingly went. I did not know how serious her condition was. She has congestive heart failure which gives her the tendency of retaining water around her heart and I just thought of it as a common event for her to have them drain the fluid from her. I went without makeup and my hair wet and pulled back in hairsticks. Naturally, the doctor in the emergency room was both cute and funny (and married). I'm celibate and I probably will be for the rest of my life, but I still like to look cute for the guys. So, I went back home to put myself together. When I came back, my Grandma was in a room and sleeping (she couldn't sleep the night before so she was extremely tired). I then relieved my Aunt to go home and take care of family business while I stayed with Grandma. After a considerable amount of time, something really strange happened. This male nurse kept looking in the room with a puzzled look. Not too long after that happened, a team of nurses came to her room with those resuscitation paddles you always see on tv. They kept saying her that her heartbeat was really low, but I saw them pull a piece of paper out of their machine with a single, straight line. When they went to approach her, she woke up and said something to the effect of "wonderful, wonderful." They stood there confused for a second, but she was definitely back.

Not that I needed convincing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home