Thursday, November 08, 2007

Get right with God.

I've said this before. We're a generation in need of a prophet.

If 9/11 wasn't enough to shake people up, what gives? What do we need? Earthquakes? Famines? Lord knows it scared the crap out of me. After years away from the church you can bet your bottom dollar that I was in the pews that Sunday. In fact, it was the first time I heard a priest raise his voice in church. Catholic priests just don't do that. And I remember exactly what he said. He was talking about the people who were blaming God for the events of that day (9/11). I often find it troublesome when people blame God for the Devil's handiwork. That's not God's bag, he doesn't do that. My God is a loving and forgiving God, slow to anger and rich in mercy.

I think Bono takes alot of flack for being a good guy. And a bit of angst out there due to the phenominal success of U2. (DC Talk wrote a song about their experience with the backlash.) People play their music in churches. They set a Psalm to music...that would be "40." "All That You Can't Leave Behind" was sprinkled with religious references, in fact I remember a mention to the Catholic church in the liner notes. Sanctus Real, another Christian band did an incredible version of "Beautiful Day." And I would say that "Electrical Storm" is largely religious. " We need the rain to wash away our bad luck." How does 50 consecutive days suit you? Boy, Dublin had a rough summer.

Personally, I've had a number of eerie coincidences that took place alongside the "All You Can't Leave Behind" album. For instance, I was stuck in traffic on a gorgeous day in LA the day I heard the DEBUT of "Beautiful Day." I was there, in LA, for two reasons 1) because I wanted a job and more importantly 2) because I was in love with the director who was offering the said job. Naturally, I didn't get the job. But when I didn't get the job I said "Maybe it's a blessing in disguise." You can hang your hat on that one. He won't even answer me. My return ticket was supposed to leave LA on September 11th, but stayed an extra week in the hopes that he would talk to me. That time was a particularly turbulent time in my life, my exboyfriend of 7 years, an aethiest whom I started dating because I wanted him to believe in God, had just broken up with me (in the parking lot at my younger sister's wedding reception no less. When I got back from my LA trip, I then took an apartment from a business colleague, she was a location scout at the time, but used to be concert tour manager for groups like Billy Joel, Bruce Springsteen and U2. Allegedly, Bono had spent the night on the floor of my apartment at one time, although I can't imagine why.

The second eerie and earth shattering coincidence was that on 9/11 I was supposed to be on a plane...that left at 9AM! I had my ticket on the desk of my office at work and my theory is that a jealous coworker stole it. She hated me, and I have no idea why. I was always so nice to her, even threw her a baby shower. Maybe it was because I did her job (very well, I might add and for no additional compensation) while she took her extended maternity leave. Anyway, the plane ticket was to take me to the Toronto International Film Festival and I was so geeked to go because I had read that the director that I had flew to LA for had been there in previous years. I even attempted to contact him days before by email, with the ironic subject line: Bad Timing, What's New?

The woman I was going to the festival with, a soft spoken, intelligent, well-connected African American lady (who loved me and wanted to hire me as her assistant) was my bosses boss. She was not respected by my boss or the 2nd in power in my office (the girl who hated me). God rest her soul (Ms. Funn), she passed away a few years ago. I had bought a nice piece of costume jewerly to wear on the plane from Trixie's Palace (in Fells Point), it only cost me $15 but I really liked it because it was shaped in three parts and it reminded me of the Holy Trinity (the Father, Son and the Holy Spirit). Anyway, Ms. Funn had changed my ticket because she wanted to travel later in the day, which is why I wasn't in the airport when the terrible tragedy happened. I was just getting out of the shower when my Mom called after the first tower had been struck. As she was talking, I glanced down to the floor to see an issue of Variety (a film industry magazine for those who don't know), with the New York skyline all in blue. Fricking creepy! I got dressed and then my friend Brad, whom Ethel and I had nicknamed International cutie, (I had such a crush on him) walked me over to his apartment where we watched the second tower fall.

In those days, I often would fall asleep to the television, usually M2, which was at the time, the cooler version of MTV. At 3AM on the morning of September 11th I was awakened to the video for "Stuck in a Moment You Can't Get Out Of," set in a stadium during an American football game. Everyone in the stands was holding up signs that said "I Love New York." Bad timing, huh? The last time I was in LA, or rather, near it (in Torrance) I was awakened to Kanye West (again at 3 AM) "Jesus Walks," which if you haven't heard it is chilling. Recently, I heard the Reliant K song "Wake Up Call" for the first time. "It's 3AM she said, who are you Matchbox 20?" I guess you just have to hear the song for yourself.

This is not a joke. Life is a test of your character. Will you pass or fail?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home