Tuesday, February 19, 2008

St. Francis of Assisi


I have a little shrine started in my bedroom. I bought the St. Francis statue just after Christmas, I got really lucky and it was on sale.

When I told my aunt (who is a Sister of Mercy) about it, she mentioned that she was recently just given an autographed copy of a children's book on St. Francis of Assisi, written by a Kennedy. We sometimes have a weird synchronicity, and this was one of the times.

As I read the biography of Robert F. Kennedy, I instantly felt better about my collection of religious paraphanalia. Sometimes my parents will look at me strangely for bringing in a new statue, but then again, they hardly ever go to church.

Robert F. Kennedy mentioned in the opening of his book that he had not one but several shrines in his home. Not a bad quality, I feel, to be shared with one of the most prominent Catholic families in this country.





St. Francis of Assisi is primarily known for his love of animals. A local animal activist group here (called Concern for Critters) does a yearly blessing of the animals in his name.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home