Friday, November 09, 2007

Buddhism and the God within

If you've been continually reading my blog (which would amaze and astonish me due to the lack of comments), you will remember in my post entitled "Christian Mysticism," I mentioned Teresa of Avila and her Interior Castle. Well, the most contemporary translator of that particular book, Mirabai Starr is a Buddhist. She specializes in 16th century Spanish literature and lives in New Mexico. I thought it was odd that a Buddhist would choose to translate a Christian book of such magnitude, when I was reminded of the tableau that Teresa paints in her book. The image that I am alluding to is that of a castle in the soul where, as you progress, you further your union with God, with God residing in the soul. This idea is not unlike the inward journey of a Buddhist to Nirvana. Heaven. God. Bliss. Nirvana. Whatever you want to call it, it's basically the same idea.

I have a friend at work and his name is John. I count myself lucky to know him.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home